fear & ignorace fuel xenophobia August 14, 2006Posted by Brad Richert in religion.
Progress is a fable. We forget history the moment after it passes. We may change the direction of hatred, but it is still there, simmering. The fear that our governments’ and media instill into us only give us an excuse to show it.
Results of a recent USA Today/Gallup Poll:
- 39% of Americans acknowledge some prejudice against Muslims
- 40% of Americans think Muslims are not respectful of other religions
- 44% of Americans think Muslims are too extreme in their beliefs
- 39% of Americans favor more strict security measures for Muslims than other U.S. citizens, such as requiring Muslims to carry special I.D.
- 41% of Americans favor Muslims undergoing more intensive security checks at U.S. airports
- 59% of Americans do not personally know a Muslim
- Of those that personally know a Muslim, 24% favored the I.D. (compared to 50% of those that do not know one)
- 10% of those that know a Muslim said they would not want a Muslim as a neighbour (compared to 31% of those that do not know one)
Sources and more info: